The "No Jerks" Policy

This is just a friendly reminder about some of our policies here on the Wood Talk Online Forum. Most of it is pretty standard stuff and you can read all the rules here. With so many new folks joining the community every day, I felt it was time to discuss one of the most important aspects of our guidelines, and that's the "No Jerks" Policy.

As a long-time reader and contributor to forums, I have grown to have a slight distaste for them. This is largely due to less than friendly people who use the forum to vent their personal issues and discourage newbs from asking common beginner questions. As a result, I was very apprehensive about starting our own forum several years ago because I didn't want to be the owner of one such environment. But I promised myself that my forum would be different.

So how do we keep the forum clean? By enforcing the rules of no politics and no religion. But recently, I felt the need to explicitly state a previously implied third major rule: no jerks. This means that if you are repeatedly argumentative, insulting, pushy, accusatory, impolite, or just plain annoying, you will be removed. Please don't make the mistake of thinking this is a public forum. It is a privately-owned forum that is open to the public.

Hey, everyone has a bad day. But if someone makes a habit of creating a negative "tone" in the threads they participate in, they will be removed.

I love my forum and I love the people in it. I will not have me or my moderators sit idly by while negativity spreads like wildfire (as is the case in just about every other forum out there). So if you ever receive a message from a moderator about something you said in the forum, please be respectful of our requests. We aren't always perfect, but the ultimate goal is to keep this a fun, family-friendly, newb-friendly environment.

FYI, there is no particular incident that is causing this announcement. A conversation with the mods made me realize I needed to be more explicit about this one unique aspect of our forum.

• Like 1

I back Marc's comments 100% I spend a lot of time talking to people here in the UK who look at you like you're an estate agent (Realtor) when you mention owning a forum. Forums have gotten such a horrible nasty reputation because of these parasites that have nothing better to do than be an A-hole on the internet. The only way to deal with these situations is to nip them in the bud. If you don't like being moderated, get your own forum!

Marc, thank your for creating this great forum, is a great resource for what we want to do, what we ... do and sometimes when we face challenges. The tone is fantastic and the positive experience and value of content keep me coming back. I don't use any other forums, actually never did, other than a little at FOG.

Ahhh the forum debate. I have belonged to several forums over the years (not just woodworking) and I must say this is the best one yet. I have read many of the topics and can say that there is a genuine current of positivity and encouragement form everyone here. The one thing I have noticed that is so different is when a new member brings up a topic that has been discussed previously, nobody is jumping all over the post complaining about it having already been discussed. The topic is therefore free to take on a life of its own and evolve like a normal conversation would.

So kudos to Marc and the forum moderators and of course the members for letting this forum be a positive and educational environment.

I have learned allot in a very short time.

Stampy

aka Scott

As a moderator on another forum which is quite well regarded, I think Marc has the balance between freedom of speech and offensive behavior about right.

While the Internet enables us to create a community that would not exist otherwise, it does allow for people you would not choose to invite home for s drink to express their offensiveness.

The jerks are usually pretty easy to spot - not only do they express themselves in an unnecessarily rude way, they usually also have all the creativiy and imagination of an echo.:)

I agree, if only my foot would reach.

From the looks of your avatar, your feet wouldn't reach an ant's jimmies!

I will say, though, I think people are using the search more here. In forum 2.0, there was a weekly "hey guys, I'm buying a bandsaw" thread... all different! Forum 1.0's version was "hey Marc, is that really your garage?"

I think this is a great forum. There is one other that I have been on, but do not participate as much any more. For the most part it is a decent group, but there are a few users on there that make it tough to participate. This includes one who insists (not a mod btw) that the entire profile be filled, especially name (not a fake one either) and location, before he will consider replying to a post. He has driven this to a point where several have stopped contributing to the forum, which has diminished the overall site.

I agree 100% as well. I am new to this forum and wood working, so I will probably have a lot of newb questions. I was on another forum, not wood working related, where the people kinda bashed new comers to the topic. I ended up writing a post that let them know exactly how I felt about being criticized for being new. I got banned for life. Good riddance in my book though. Thanks for this forum and enforcing the "NO JERKS" policy.

I think this is a great forum. There is one other that I have been on, but do not participate as much any more. For the most part it is a decent group, but there are a few users on there that make it tough to participate. This includes one who insists (not a mod btw) that the entire profile be filled, especially name (not a fake one either) and location, before he will consider replying to a post. He has driven this to a point where several have stopped contributing to the forum, which has diminished the overall site.

You it's a good thing your avatar is your picture? laugh.gif j/k...

I'm going to suggest that sometimes this forum is too good.

There have been a few times I've gone here while I should be working and thought: "Oh, I'll just take a peak at who's replied to such and such... and maybe take a look at how Chad the tool guy's shop is going.... oh and I wonder if anyone got a new LN or LV plane..." Then I look up and I've been reading posts for an hour and I haven't touched my work.... oops.

No, seriously great forum. Great people. Lots of variety of skills. Normites, Neanderthals, Cabinet Makers, and Cabriel Leg Makers unite!

• Like 1

This policy only applies to non co-host types right?! Because I like to pretend that I'm somebody every now and then, and the best way to display that is by being a jerk.

I'll leave rude comments just because, and then I'll follow them up with "OH YEAH?!"

I'm just saying, there has to be some wiggle room in this no jerk policy for people like me...you know, important and stuff.

Marc I totally agree. I have 3 daughters at home and am always weary what they are reading on social networks. I am also an IT guy for a local school district and must be the internet police for 20,000 students. That always makes for an interesting day. There are 22 of us and its hard to keep up.

When you are online if you treat it as someone of authority was behind you watching what you do. You wont get in trouble. Everything you do online is PUBLIC knowledge.

• Like 1

I suppose I've missed a few good threads. :angry: It's always been my experience that good people attract good people. As long as Paul, Sac, Marc, and the others are active, the a$$holes should more or less stay away.